THE FRESHMAN STEPS
We know it’s much too early to start filling out your college applications, but there are some crucial steps that you must take as a freshman to get you ready for college.
Below are a few steps that you want to make sure to complete your freshman year.
- Meet with your guidance counselor. You should make a habit of meeting with your guidance counselor at least once a year. They are a wealth of information! Share with them your thoughts about college, and ask them to help you along every step of the way. They may be able to provide you with resources about different colleges, and they will make sure you don’t miss any crucial classes.
- Plan your classes wisely! There are certain classes that must be completed in high school in order to graduate. Make sure you are on the right track. Also, talk to your guidance counselor about getting into more challenging classes, such as AP or honors classes. These classes will look great on a transcript.
- Start exploring career options. Try to find careers that match your interests and abilities. Keep your mind open to the many different possibilities that are out there.
- Start exploring schools. Once again, there are countless possibilities. Get familiar with admission requirements and what the school would have to offer you.
- Start getting involved in extracurricular activities. This could possibly help you get accepted to the school of your choice (once you eventually make that decision, that is). It can also help you qualify for more scholarships.
- Study, study, study!!! Colleges will look at your grades. You need to make sure you do your absolute best in all your classes.
The things to remember, freshman, are to keep exploring your options and working hard all year long!